Frolicking through trees, scampering across fences, and frantically gathering acorns, squirrels have become an emblem of nature’s playful whimsy within the urban bustle of Toronto. However, despite their charming antics, they also pose a substantial threat to home gardens. This blog will guide you through the world of these intriguing critters, the problems they pose, and how SWAT Wildlife comes into play when squirrel infestations need to be professionally addressed.
Embracing Tree Life in the Cityscape: Squirrels in Toronto
Toronto’s urban ecosystem is an ideal environment for two common varieties of squirrels: the Eastern gray squirrel and the American red squirrel. These sprightly adventurers are an integral part of the local ecosystem, aiding in seed dispersal, and hence fostering tree growth. However, when these native Toronto residents begin to feel too much at home in domestic gardens and greenspaces, they can become a significant problem.
Squirrels and Your Garden: Cute Intruders or Harmful Pests?
Watching a squirrel twirl around tree branches can be a delight. However, this awe dissipates when you observe the adverse impact they can make on your beautiful garden:
- Damage to Plants: Fancying bulbs, fruits, bird eggs, and seeds, squirrels can cause serious damage to plants and trees. The gnawing habit of squirrels can also lead to bark damage, thereby affecting trees’ health and vitality.
- Digging Debacle: Squirrels are infamous for their digging habits. This is part of their food preservation strategy, where they bury nuts and acorns to consume later. Lawns and gardens often bear the brunt of this behaviour, resulting in an unsightly mess of scattered soil and dug-up plants.
- Birdhouses and Feeders: Squirrels are known to harass birds, often raiding their nests for eggs and younglings. They can quickly empty your bird feeders, thereby depriving birds of their food source while proliferating the squirrel population.
Proactive Measures: How Can You Prevent Squirrel Infestations?
Preventing squirrel infestations requires a multi-pronged approach considering squirrels’ adaptive nature and persistent habits. Here are some practical prevention and squirrel removal strategies that homeowners can employ:
- Squirrel Repellants: Employing natural squirrel deterrents like sprays made from capsaicin or garlic can help protect your beloved plants by making them less appetizing to these pests.
- Plant Protection: Protective covers or special netting can safeguard your vegetables, fruits, and flower bulbs, preventing squirrels from feasting on them or digging them up.
- Secure Your Trash: Food waste often attracts squirrels. Using tightly sealed dustbins can prevent the smell of discarded food from luring in these critters.
- Limit the Use of Bird Feeders: Bird feeders, while great for attracting an array of feathered friends, often prove irresistible to squirrels. If you must have bird feeders, use squirrel-proof variants that are readily available in the market.
- Nearby Trees and Structures: Trim back tree branches that can provide squirrels with easy access to your home and garden. This step can be crucial in avoiding more severe issues like attics or home infiltrations.
The Edge of SWAT Wildlife: Expertise, Experience, and Ethical Practices
When squirrel prevention measures fall short or squirrel infestations spiral out of control, professional intervention becomes an inevitability. SWAT Wildlife, a prominent wildlife control service in Toronto, comes into the picture, providing strategic and comprehensive solutions for squirrel infestation problems:
- Assessment: SWAT professionals carry out a thorough assessment of your property to identify the magnitude of the problem and potential entry points.
- Removal: SWAT employs humane and non-lethal methods to extract squirrels from your property. They ensure the process causes no harm to these agile creatures and is as stress-free as possible.
- Prevention and Proofing: SWAT provides comprehensive prevention solutions by securing all potential entry points and rendering your property impervious to future squirrel infestations and invasions.
- Cleanup & Damage Repair: The SWAT team isn’t just about removal. They ensure a thorough cleanup of any droppings or nesting material left behind from squirrel infestations. They also undertake repairs for any damage caused by the squirrel infestations.
SWAT Wildlife’s commitment to humane and ethical practices, combined with their experience and expertise, makes them an ideal choice. They also provide a one-year guarantee on their work, illustrating their confidence in their services and providing clients peace of mind.
Conclusion: Maintaining Balance
Squirrels, these charming critters leaping across Toronto’s tree canopies, while critical to the ecosystem, can indeed become a nuisance when their activities start impacting our gardens negatively. Balancing their existence with our peace of mind requires a thoughtful approach.
By taking preventive measures and enlisting SWAT Wildlife’s professional services when squirrel infestations arise, homeowners can protect their gardens from the damage caused by these nutty neighbours. It’s about creating spaces where humans and wildlife can co-exist without infringing upon each other.
Remember, prevention is better than cure. It’s more effortless and less costly to deter squirrels from causing an infestation than to deal with an established one. Contact SWAT Wildlife today to ensure your garden remains your sanctuary, free from the disruptive and damaging antics of squirrel infestations.